Creative Organization

Organization, it’s probably the most important attribute for a scrapbooker, card maker or general crafter should have. For the most part I think I am pretty organized…..until I can’t find what I am looking for and toss everything around. Oops. So my resolution this year is to figure out better ways to organize. Since I have little space to set up my ultimate crafting area, I have been thinking of creative ways to put things away.

an idea is born

Sitting here eating some very delicious pretzel rods I kept staring at the package the sticks came in. I wondered what I could possibly use this for. I looked over at my stack of boxes which I loved but found to be completely useless in the displaying of my ribbons. I am a visual person; I need to see things to remember to use them so though the boxes can hold a lot there isn’t a neat way to show me what’s available. So I pondered what I could do and it finally came to me, the container could hold my ribbons! Now I just had to figure out how to make this a useful idea…

nothing to see here

So I started by cleaning and removing the label from the container. Now I won’t lie this wasn’t easy. I heated up the label got impatient for the sticker to come off and almost melted the thing! I also scrubbed it in warm water, big mistake, which I will never do again. So I went back to the drawing board. I remembered reading about ways to get glue off of things and I vaguely recalled baby oil as am option. Being the eternal optimist I ran to my bathroom in search of some and much to my horror I realized I didn’t have any! Not to fear I am pretty astute when it comes to problem solving so I just went to my pantry and pulled out the vegetable oil, it worked like a charm and I was able to get it all clean.

Once I had dried the entire thing I took out my exacto knife and I planned on cutting a straight edge along the seam. I should mention I am not a great cutter because I don’t have a steady hand. Even with my less than stellar cutting I achieved pretty decent results.

I was worried that the butchered exposed plastic might harm my ribbon so I decided to cover it. I took clear packing tape and cut it the length of the opening. I folded over the edge so it protects both inside and out. The plastic is pretty malleable so it wasn’t a problem to bend it to get the tape inside .I repeated this for the other side.

I then finally was able to put in some of my ribbon into it and I tested out how it works. For the large size it is great and works like a dream. For the smaller ribbons they require more stability. I solved that by attaching a dowel piece on the center of the lid to hold the ribbons in place.

Hope you enjoyed my idea. Happy crafting!


Popular posts from this blog

Mojo Monday 433

First Communion Card

May Birthday Cards